Sunday, October 4, 2009

Rare View

There is probably nothing better in New York City than a Thursday outdoor happy hour in the Summer. Most people have already checked out mentally for the weekend and the evenings are usually significantly more fun than the other 9 months of Thursdays.

Everyone knows there are plenty of places to go, but Rare View at the top of the Shelburne is right up there. This Murray Hill roof deck is much more attitude free unlike some of the other roof tops in NYC that are heavily guarded by d*bag bouncers most likely from the forgotten borough. My first venture here I was wearing shorts, a t-shirt & maybe even a Phillies hat but there was no one hassling me about my attire. Once you get off the elevator you immediately see a great nightlife scene. Lots of young professionals drinking moderately priced drinks. I stuck to beer, so I can't comment on the liquor but it was reasonable considering the ridiculous view.

Almost 360 views occupied my eyes and mind for the first 20 minutes and then I realized I was not paying attention to what was a great scene. We were with a group of about 10 standing, but there are plenty of tables for sitting, none were available for our large group. Drinks were really easy to get with lots of waitresses walking around as well as several accessible bars. If you are looking to mingle Rare View has it with lots of 20somethings looking for a good time. By buddy who I went with started talking to an incredibly gorgeous girl, but it didn't work out for him and we ended up crushing pizza together a few hours later.

This place is great for a Summer night if the weather is cooperating. They also have certain parts of the roof available for private events which is nice but also a risky scheduling endeavor considering it could rain. Nonetheless, Rare View is high up on my list and you definitely have to stop in even if it is only for a drink and a few minutes of enjoying the beautiful NYC skyline.

Rare View

303 Lexington Ave
New York, NY 10016
(212) 481-8439
http://www.rarebarandgrill.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment