Thursday, October 8, 2009

Arthur's Tavern

A comedian I like named Mike Birbiglia said in an act, "usually jazz is cool...but sometime jazz can suck" and went on to berate Kenny G. Anyway, Arthur’s Tavern has the kind of jazz that doesn't suck. Located technically in the West Village because it is on the west side of 7th ave, this place has much more of a Christopher Street flavor than a swanky vibe. Entertaining New York City since 1937 this place claims to have the best live jazz and blues music in the Big Apple. The venue has been located is in a historic building for more than 60 years.

I went to meet my buddy who was walking around killing time and just bellied up at the bar and was shooting the sh*t with the very friendly bartender. This is the type joint where you feel obligated to drink some sort of whiskey and I somehow got roped into it. Beware, the place is tight so don't go with a big group just hoping to find a place to sit. I was the odd man out standing next to (read: behind) my buddy at the bar and let me tell you, I looked really cool.

Eventually we got a table and waitress service with some of our friends. This made the night much better and turned what was scheduled to be a drink in a jazz club to a 3am drunken debacle. We listened to the incredible voice of Alyson Williams.

Arthur's Tavern had me feeling right on time and it is definitely a place I need to hit up again. This jazz house is anything from sleepy Kenny G. It's worth the trip


Arthur’s Tavern
57 Grove Street
New York, NY 10014
(212) 675-6879
http://www.arthurstavernnyc.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment