Thursday, September 24, 2009

Tree

Not a huge TV watcher but I love me some Seinfeld and I love me some Food Network. I was watching this one show where famous chefs were talking about their "must have" foods. One of the guys mentioned the dish he loved at Tree in the East Village.

The chef's recommendation sparked my interest enough to venture here on a Thursday night. Very hidden entrance that you could easily overlook on a crowded 1st Avenue. Once inside, the front room is very narrow with very few tables but we are led by the hosest to the garden in the back which I was pumped about. Anytime I can possibly eat outdoors, I'm all about it. This particular garden was very cool and spacious. It had what appeared to be a motorized retractable roof for inclement weather. I thought this was really cool, the other two people at our table did not seem to care nearly as much as I did.

So, this TV chef dude suggested the Manila clams & mussels over linguini. What is unique about this dish is that it is made with saffron broth as opposed to the standard garlic, oil & chicken broth that we've all had a million times. Don't get me wrong, this dish was legit and there wasn't an ounce of edible food left on my plate but this said chef claimed to have ordered a duplicate dish while he was halfway through his first one. I didn't order a second but after looking at the website I kinda wish I ordered this:
Food aside, the atmosphere was great, service was great, wine list was great, prices were great and it a great neighborhood. Overall, great (someone get me a thesaurus) and I recommend it.

Tree
190 First Ave
New York, NY 10009
(212) 358-7171

No comments:

Post a Comment