Friday, September 25, 2009

The Back Fence

Lots of good live music venues in NYC, no one can challenge that. Where I have a slight problem is that I'm not some indie music freak or totally all about sitting in a bar watching some guy try to "make it" with his original songs. I'm totally cool with a original here and there, but I'm out tonight to have a good time and listen to some music I know (translation: covers).

The Back Fence is one of my favorite live music spots in the city for many reasons. Walk into this classic place and the first thought that runs through your head is, "this place is small." Thursday through Saturday night make sure you get there early to get yourself a table; the experience will be much better. Once seated, your good time can begin. Have a seat in these tight quarters and listen to what has always been great music in the time I have been there. The weekend acts are usually their regular list of performers and I've always enjoyed their playlist and percentage of covers to originals. My favorite performer I've seen is a guy that everyone always called Tommy Boy because of his striking resemblance to Chris Farley (if you've been there and seen him, you know I'm dead on).

This is no first date place as the music is loud, beer comes in mugs and there are peanut shells everywhere. I'm a huge peanut fan mostly at baseball games but sometimes they are good for tossing into your friends beer mug when he is not paying attention, just sometimes though. You should eventually plan on having your peanut privilege taken away from you by the waitress so make sure you enjoy them while they are on the table.

The Back Fence is a fun, no attitude place that will get you nice and rummed up while listening to quality tunes. Also, you can't beat the neighborhood as you walk out right on the happening Bleecker St of the Greenwich Village.





The Back Fence
155 Bleecker StNew York, NY
10012-1438
(212) 475-9221

No comments:

Post a Comment